Benefits of One-Click List-Unsubscribe Headers, and how to use them with SocketLabs
What is a One-Click List-Unsubscribe Header?
The One-Click List-Unsubscribe header is an optional message header that is supported
by many major mailbox providers such as Gmail, Yahoo/AOL, Outlook/Hotmail. Theseproviders look for this header in messages and when found they will display a native unsubscribe option in the email client.
It's better for users to unsubscribe than click to report spam!
Benefits Of The One-Click List-Unsubscribe Header:
Mailbox providers have expanded the definition of spam to include any messages that their users don't want to receive. Some providers will even consider your messages to be spam if they are frequently deleted without being opened. Making sure that unengaged recipients have a convenient way to unsubscribe from your mailings can go a long way toward protecting your ability to reach the inbox.
Including One-Click List-Unsubscribe headers in messages has several advantages for you as a sender:
- Many Mailbox Providers view a sender more positively if a One-Click List-Unsubscribe header is included within their messages. Some mailbox providers even require its presence.
- The unsubscribe action does NOT negatively affect your reputation, unlike having your messages marked as spam. Some mail clients will even encourage users to unsubscribe instead of marking a message as spam.
- SocketLabs will automatically add any recipient that clicks on your One-Click List-Unsubscribe header to your suppression list so that their lack of engagement with your emails won't continue to damage your reputation.
Enabling The One-Click List-Unsubscribe Header Feature:
- Log-in to the SocketLabs Portal and dive into the Server that you want to update. Using the left-hand side menu system select Configuration then Advanced Authentication.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page where you will find a section for Engagement Tracking Domains. You will need to set-up a domain for use in the Open, Click, and Unsubscribe URLs we will generate for you. Once a domain has been successfully added, there is then a "Unsubscribe Tracking" flag that can be flipped. Flipping this flag along with the "Automatic Tracking" flag will result in the One-Click List-Unsubscribe headers being automatically included in the messages that you send.
Will this affect the existing unsubscribe link in my email?
If you insert any List-Unsubscribe headers into a message prior to submission to SocketLabs they will not be modified. SocketLabs will only insert One-Click List-Unsubscribe headers if there are not already List-Unsubscribe headers in the message.
Any unsubscribe links within the body of the message will also NOT be modified. They will still continue to function as they did prior to enabling the unsubscribe tracking flag.