Benefits of List-Unsubscribe Headers, and how to use them with SocketLabs
What is a List-Unsubscribe Header?
The List-Unsubscribe Header is an optional header that is supported by inbox providers such as Outlook and Gmail. These providers look for this header in emails and will display a native unsubscribe option.
Mailbox providers have expanded the definition of spam to include any messages that their users don't want to receive. Some providers will even consider your messages to be spam if they are frequently deleted without being opened. Making sure that unengaged recipients have a convenient way to unsubscribe from your mailings can go a long way toward protecting your ability to reach the inbox.
It's better for users to unsubscribe than click to report spam!
Benefits Of The Automated List-Unsubscribe Header:
Including this special unsubscribe link in message headers has several advantages for you as a sender:
- Many ISPs and Mailbox Providers view a sender more positively if a List-Unsubscribe Header is included within their messages.
- The Unsubscribe action does NOT negatively affect your reputation, unlike having your messages marked as spam.
- SocketLabs will automatically add any recipient that clicks on your List-Unsubscribe Header to your suppression list so that their lack of engagement with your emails won't continue to damage your
Enabling The List-Unsubscribe Header Feature:
- From your server's Control Panel, go to the Configuration tab at the top of your screen in the black menu bar.
- Click "Configure Engagement Tracking”.
- You will be taken to a page which offers you options for Automated Open and Click Tracking. If you have not yet set up a Custom Host Name, you will need to do so. At the bottom of this page is an independent function called "Unsubscribe Tracking". Setting this field to "Enabled" will do the following:
- Automatically insert a List-Unsubscribe Header into every message you send from that server.
- Ensure that every time a recipient clicks on that List-Unsubscribe link, their address will be added to that server's suppression list.
Will this affect the existing unsubscribe link in my email?
If you already have an unsubscribe link included in the body of your messages, enabling the List-Unsubscribe Header will not impact your unsubscribe link in any way.