The Suppression List is a tool for reputation management and is a list of addresses that will not be sent to.
Major mailbox providers calculate and maintain reputations for IP addresses and domains. This reputation is calculated based on numerous factors, including invalid address delivery attempts and complaints from recipients. To protect your account from potential reputation damage, we maintain a Suppression List for your server.
Where is the Suppression List located?
The Suppression List is located under the Configuration drop-down in the control panel for the selected server.
How is an address added to the Suppression List?
Addresses added to the Suppression List will include the specific date and reason for addition. Reasons for addition are:
- Hard Bounces: The receiving mail server responded with a permanent error response, such as: "550 5.1.1 User unknown In response to the RCPT TO command." This is most commonly encountered when attempting to deliver to an address that does not exist.
- Unsubscribes: The recipient of the message has opted to unsubscribe from receiving mailings from your organization. For these messages to be suppressed on your SocketLabs server, the message must be sent using the marketing tools or have automatic tracking for unsubscribes toggled on for engagement tracking.
- "This is Spam": The person receiving the message hits the spam/junk button in a browser/client that supports feedback loops. These will appear in your list as a "Complaint" and will also show in your complaints report if within the last 90 days.
- Manual Complaints: An address was added manually, either by a SocketLabs admin due to receiving a complaint to our abuse address, or by an administrator on your account.
Searching the Suppression List
Selecting the Filter option opens a pop-up window that allows for filtering on:
- Domain: Select from an exact domain match or search for a domain with the 'Starts With' option.
- Status: Select the high-level reason the address was added to suppression.
- Details: Search the specific error code or details for the addition.
- Date Added: Select a specific date or range to view addresses added during the selected timeframe.
Removing an Address from the Suppression List
To remove an address, select the garbage can icon to the right of the entry.
A pop-up will appear that ensures you would like to remove the address from the Suppression list. To continue, select 'Delete'
Adding an Address to the Suppression List
To add an entry to the Suppression list, click 'Add Entry'
Turning Off the Suppression List
This feature can be turned off for customers that implement their own address suppression systems. To qualify, an account must be in good standing and detail their self employed logic for address suppression. Contact our support team for more information.
Not all mail servers respond with the same error codes, and some may indicate a temporary error such as "Mailbox Full" with a cryptic or poorly formed error response message. If this occurs and the user is incorrectly on the suppression list, please contact our support team.